Sunday, June 23, 2002

Bread, Moon, and Doubt

06/23/02


 Eric Preparing the Daily Bread


    We had pretty decent wind through my 0000-0200 watch last night, then it fizzled later.  When I woke up for my 0600 watch, Eric had the engine running and was making bread on the stove.  Yesterday, we ran out of whole wheat bread that had been purchased for the trip, and now we must make our own for sandwiches.  He is baking the bread in an aluminum stockpot on top of the stove.  The pot has a cylindrical metal insert inside, so that the bread loaf comes out the shape of a pound cake.


 The Finished Product


    Last night the moon was beautiful, although when I was off watch it kept shining through the ports into my eyes, making it difficult to sleep.  I will always think of Sue when I see the moon, particularly when it is preventing me from falling asleep.  The first night I was on watch, the entire sky was obscured by clouds, but a little hole opened up just enough for the moon to shine through.  I felt that it was Sue saying “hello”.  I am a bit relieved that we are heading for Horta rather than the Canaries as a first stop.  We should be there in 11 days (around July 4), rather than (at least) one week later in the Canaries.  I am starting to get a bit homesick, wondering what I’ve gotten myself into.  At this point I am having some doubts about my ability to continue past Cape Town, but it is early yet.  I will give myself a chance to adapt.

No comments: