Sunday, July 14, 2002

The Misery Continues

07/14/02

    The misery continues.

    The body slams have continued throughout yesterday and are continuing as I write this at 1130, with no sign of letting up. 

    A few other things happened yesterday.  First, Eric was hardening up the jib sheet when a piece broke off the winch.  The piece that broke off was a spacer between the tailing jaws of the winch, with a little tab that keeps the sheet from getting wrapped under when it goes around in the jaws.  We studied this for a while, and determined there is no way to practically fix it.  Finally Eric decided we could just put the tab in there and it would serve the purpose.  This did not work, as the large diameter jib sheet spread the jaws too wide and the tab came out of alignment.  He decided to change the jib sheets with ones of smaller diameter.  This was a bit complicated, as it entailed going into wind, unwinding the jib, and David going forward, untying the loose sheet, and connecting the new sheet.  We then ran the new sheet through, took the load on that, and did the same for the port sheet.  David had to climb on the ratlines to reach the jib, and it was a bit harrowing in the heaving seas.  After all this, the winch experienced the same problem with the thinner line, and we decided just to use the winch as a non-self-tailer for now, until we could fix it in port.

    Later on in the afternoon we had another crisis.  One of Victor’s steering lines broke and he wasn’t able to steer any more.  Eric had a replacement line, and we proceeded to the stern to dismantle the steering device while David hand steered.  It was a frustrating task that required Eric to hang over the stern rail, taking off pieces and handing to me to secure on deck.  He finally had the unit folded up, removed the pieces of the old steering line and ran the new steering line through, putting a figure eight knot in the end and reinforcing the end with electrical tape.  Soon, Victor was reassembled and once again performing his essential duty.

    That night, I was not able to eat my dinner, as I had another attack of nausea while I started to eat my Spam and beans.  I went on deck to get some air and drink my ginger ale.  This time I felt particularly green, greener than my last episode, even though I did not actually throw up this time.  I lay down for another hour before my watch began (more body slams and drips.  Oh Boy!!), and felt a little better, but not much.  I still had that sour taste in the back of my mouth and a mild headache.  I brushed my teeth, and took several small sips of water, and that helped somewhat.  I was getting used to the body slams, and slept a bit better.

    After lunch today we had yet another crisis.  Victor’s other steering line broke.  This time I did the hand steering while David helped out at the stern.  Hand steering on a reach for just a few minutes really allowed me to appreciate the job that Victor does.  We are still careening along at over 6 knots with double-reefed main and double-reefed jib.  187 miles to go to our waypoint in Tenerife.

    It is now evening, the start of my 2000 watch.  The winds have died, and the seas are subsiding.  We have shaken the reefs out, and are hoping something will happen.  We are making 3.2 knots with 151 miles to go, which is a little over 48 hours.  I will see what happens on my watch.  If the seas subside and the wind is still dead, we will start the engine.  If the wind picks up, we will sail. 

    I am constantly thinking about what’s going to happen after Cape Town.  There are reasons for me to continue and reasons for me to bail out.  On the list of reasons to continue are the fact that I have made a public commitment to do this, also the fact that this is an opportunity that is guaranteed not to ever come again, and when I make it through, whatever suffering I endure will all be in the past anyway.  For reasons to bail out, I am realizing that 11 months is a long time to be away from my home, and I seriously miss being in Long Island with Sue and the cats.  To think of eight additional months of this after Cape Town is a daunting thought.  Also, there are guaranteed to be tremendous hardships on the Southern Ocean leg, much more than what I have experienced so far.  Will I be able to handle them physically and mentally?  These are questions I must answer, quickly.

No comments: