Tuesday, August 27, 2002

A Favorable Wind At Last!


08/27/02

We motored through the night with no wind.  Eric made one attempt to sail but that only lasted a half hour.  Later this morning we got a favorable wind, and as of 1130 we are sailing with a nice 14 knot SW wind, on STARBOARD TACK!!!  It is a great thing.  We are on the correct course, on a reach so we are not heeling so much, and what heel we do have is in my favor, meaning I can sit in my bunk without bracing myself on the compression post, I can sleep without being mushed up against the lee cloth, and I can sit on the head without constantly bracing myself against the wall.  This is the first time in about a month that I have been able to do these things.  It is a beautiful day!!

Eric has been unable to get the water maker to work, and is doubtful he can, as it operates under very high pressure (800 psi).  We have only 75 gallons (estimated) remaining for the next three weeks, so we are taking steps to reduce water usage.  We are eliminating the fresh water rinsing of our dishes and reducing coffee and tea consumption.  We don’t have a crisis situation yet, but we want to address the problem before it gets to that point.

No comments: