Monday, August 19, 2002

The Wile E. Coyote Wave

08/19/02

    Things are still going pretty much the same.  We are continuing to have our brains bashed in by the waves.  As I sit here, we are feeling a succession of serious crunches, each accompanied by a loud crash.  You can feel every joint on the boat flex and creak.  I expect the whole thing to fly apart any minute.  At night, when lying in my bunk, I can only imagine what the boat must be doing by the motion I feel.  Occasionally I experience what I call a “Wile E. Coyote Wave”.  It feels as though the boat came off the top of a wave, suspended in mid-air momentarily with nowhere to go, then dropping several feet with a crash into the trough of the next wave.  The worst is to experience a Wile E. Coyote while sitting in the head.

    At this point we are about 15 degrees S latitude – less than 500 miles from our arbitrary waypoint at 23 degrees S.  We are hoping to get some more favorable winds to drive us east at some point.

1 comment:

emerz said...

Bob, I found your blog on the Yacht Fiona website and I've been enjoying your story. I've read it from the start of your trip to the Coyote Wave and I'd love to read the rest of it.

Regards,

Eric Merz